Navigating the Legal Landscape: What Constitutes Assault in St. Louis?
Assault charges can have serious legal implications throughout Missouri. Understanding what is considered assault is crucial for St. Louis residents navigating the legal landscape. At Combs Law Group, a trusted criminal defense law firm in St. Louis, we aim to shed light on the various aspects of assault to provide clarity and guidance for those facing such charges.
If you have been arrested for or are facing assault charges in St. Louis or anywhere else in Missouri, call the Combs Law legal team immediately at 314-451-2665 or contact us online for a free, no-strings-attached consultation.
Defining Assault in St. Louis
In St. Louis, assault is generally defined as the intentional causing of physical injury or the attempt to cause physical harm to another person. However, Missouri law recognizes different degrees of assault, each carrying its own set of legal consequences:
- First-degree assault:
- Involves the attempt to cause serious physical injury to another person
- May include the use of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument
- Can also encompass actions that result in injury through criminal negligence
- Second-degree assault:
- Involves knowingly causing physical injury to another person
- May include actions like recklessly causing injury with a deadly weapon
- Third-degree assault:
- Encompass situations where a person negligently causes physical injury to another
- Can also involve knowingly placing someone in fear of imminent physical injury
Certain factors can elevate an assault charge in St. Louis, leading to more severe consequences. These may include:
- Use of a deadly weapon
- Assault against a protected class (law enforcement officers, emergency personnel)
- Any prior criminal history
Legal Consequences for Convictions of Assault and Battery in St. Louis
The legal consequences for assault convictions vary greatly based on the degree of the offense and any aggravating factors. Penalties may include fines, probation, or incarceration. Seeking legal representation is essential to navigate the complexities of the legal system in St. Louis and throughout Missouri, and build a strong defense. Call Combs Law Group right away at 314-451-2665 or contact us online.
Defenses Against Assault Charges in St. Louis
Navigating assault charges requires a strategic defense in St. Louis. Some common defenses utilized by the Combs Law Group legal team include:
- Self-Defense: Demonstrating that the alleged actions were taken in self-defense can be a valid legal defense in St. Louis and elsewhere throughout Missouri
- Lack of Intent: If the accused did not have the intent to cause harm, it may be a viable defense
- Mistaken Identity: Establishing that the accused was not the perpetrator of the alleged assault
Combs Law Group: Your Trusted Defense Allies in St. Louis
If you or someone you love is facing assault charges in St. Louis or anywhere in Missouri, Combs Law Group is here to provide dedicated and experienced legal representation. Our team understands the nuances of assault charges and cases, and is committed to advocating for the best possible outcome for our St. Louis-area clients.
Understanding what exactly constitutes assault in St. Louis and throughout Missouri is the first step in mounting an effective defense against such charges. With the support of skilled legal representation, individuals facing assault allegations can navigate the legal process with confidence. At Combs Law Group, we stand ready to champion the rights of our clients and provide the strategic defense they deserve.
Call us as soon as possible at 314-451-2665 or reach out to us online for a free, no-obligation case review. Our attorneys are available to provide expert legal advice on your next steps.
More to Read: